Exchange Student Requirements
To gain admission as an exchange student, the following criteria must be met:
- The student must be enrolled in a Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET) approved program or have an adult sponsor who is a permanent resident within the Ashland School District boundaries. (See next page for additional requirements for students who do NOT come through a CSIET approved program).
- We only guarantee placements to organizations or resident adult sponsor that have secured a host family and exchange student by the end of June for the coming school year. Placement requests made after July 1st will be considered based on availability of classes.
- The student will be enrolled full-time at AHS for the entire school year, no more or less than that, arriving on campus no later than the Friday before school starts to register. The exchange organization or resident adult sponsor will provide all necessary records before school starts. This includes a birth certificate or passport and documentation of current immunizations.
- There must be a local representative from the exchange student organization or resident adult sponsor who is responsible for all aspects of the student's life outside of school.
- The student will be hosted by a family that resides in Ashland School District boundary.
- In the event of behavioral or academic problems involving the student, the exchange company representative or resident adult sponsor agrees to be readily available to be actively involved in resolving the issue.
- The representing agency or resident adult sponsor will ensure that the exchange student has English language skills that will enable them to do grade level work in AHS classes. The student needs to possess English language skills in speaking, reading, and writing that will enable them to be enrolled and participate in classes offered at AHS, with minimal accommodations. AHS administration, rather than the agency or adult sponsor, will have final authority to determine appropriate classes for individual students.
- If the student is planning to take a math class, they will take a math placement test upon arrival on campus and enroll at the level recommended by math department chair person.
- AHS has no requirements for which classes an exchange student must take. The student and their family are responsible for checking with their home school to determine what, if anything, is required of them regarding credits they need to earn. The student may request courses at AHS but should have an understanding that it is possible that they may not get all of their choices due to staff judgment regarding appropriate placement or lack of space. An exchange student should have an understanding that earning an Ashland High School diploma during their year as a guest at our school is not an option. If the student is the equivalent age of a senior, they are eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony and receive an honorary diploma.
* IF THE STUDENT IS NOT COMING THROUGH A CSIET APPROVED PROGRAM:
The school must submit a completed US Immigration Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) I-20 application form in order for the family to apply for an F-1 visa. As required by SEVIS, a full year of tuition in the amount of $7000 must be received by Ashland School District before the I-20 application can be submitted to the US Department of State on behalf of the prospective student.
- 5 doses of Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis (Dtap, Tdap,Td)
- 1 Tdap booster after age 10
- 4 doses of polio (IPV or OPV)
- Chickenpox disease Date or the varicella vaccine (VZV or VAR)
- 2 doses of Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR)
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B (Hep B)
On the Oregon Certificate of Immunization Status form fill in the month/day/year that your child received each dose of vaccine. Doses must be listed in the order received. The parent or guardian signature and date represents a sworn statement that the child's record is accurate. All foreign exchange students are required to have all of their immunizations and the form filled out before attending the first day of school.
Athletics & Activities Director
Available Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Meeting by appointment during office hours.
Contact via email, phone, or Teams to schedule an appointment.