1497 East Main St Ashland, OR 97520 Phone: (541) 488-2684 Fax: (541) 488-2687 Contact: Dannette Catropa Email:
Choose a book that is a good fit for you!
Read two or three pages and ask yourself these questions:
Will this book be too easy for me?
· Have I read this book many times before?
· Do I understand the story very well without much effort?
· Do I know and understand almost every word?
· Can I read it smoothly and fluently without much practice or effort?
If most of your answers were “yes”, this is a easy book for you. Have fun reading it, but next time try to choose a book that is a little more challenging.
Will this book be just right for me?
· Is this a new book for me?
· Do I understand most of what I am reading?
· Are there a few words per page that are new to me?
· When I read it aloud, can I read it smoothly?
· Do I think the topic will interest me?
If most of your answers were "yes", this will be a good book to read independently by yourself. This book will help you grow as a reader.
Will this book be too hard for me?
· Are there five or more words on a page that I don't know, or am unsure of?
· Is this book confusing and hard to understand by myself?
· When I read it aloud, does it sound choppy and slow?
If most of your answers were "yes," this book is too hard. You should wait awhile before you read this book. Give the book another try later, or ask an adult to read the book to you.